The last couple years I haven’t been super keen on the whole “New Year, New Me” thing but this year I’m really feeling it.
I have an intense desire to clean and purge my life. I’m in the mood to throw things away, donate things I don’t use, buy plastic totes and put labels on them, put everything into neat little boxes with more labels…I want to rearrange everything in my apartment. I want to dust and scrub.
I can’t believe I’m thinking about staying in for New Years to clean and organize. That I’m thinking about spending money on storage totes rather than drinks….getting old is weird.
Part of me thinks going out would be fun but I’m thinking more low key, having a few drinks, and hanging out rather than booty shaking at the club. This is how I feel when I go out to the clubs.
We’ll see what happens, maybe I’ll get an offer I can’t refuse 😉
In the meantime though my plans are a trip to Target for some storage containers, and tackling cleaning projects that will eat up my 3 day weekend but hopefully leave me with a sense of accomplishment.
I’ve been complaining about this year, and I know I’m not alone. People seem to agree that 2016 has been the worst but when I make myself sit to think about it I have to admit it’s really only the last few months that have been bad. Cleaning up any negativity in my space will help.
Reasons why I need to purge and clean my apartment:
- Everything surrounding the election turned the world into a very ugly place. It was, and still is challenging to not become overwhelmed by how hateful people can be to each other. This is why I’m stepping away from social media a little bit. I recognize how easy it is for me to be dragged into the darkness and sink into depression, so I seek out positivity and organization 🙂
- James the cat passing away broke my heart. I realized today I can talk to someone about it for about 2 minutes before I burst into tears so I still avoid talking about him too much. I need to pass on some of the items, especially the food before it goes bad. I know a shelter or another person with a cat can use it.
- My job can be stressful but I still love it;however, I also still struggle with knowing exactly where I want to go with my career. I’m hoping this year to continue to make strides in finding my path.
- I’m doing the healthy eating, healthy living thing so I think my space needs to reflect it.
- Having a clean space is good for my mental health and reduces stress. I do not thrive in clutter. I thrive in organizing clutter. My zen place is clean.
- I’m hoping to move in the summer. I would like to be responsible and attempt to get rid of stuff prior to moving rather than moving with a bunch of junk. Also, a clean apartment is easier to pack and move.
I tend to verge on the edge of being a hoarder so when I feel like purging I have to act on that urge because it doesn’t happen often.
Hope everyone has a wonderful New Year’s!! What are some of your plans? Any big resolutions?
If I don’t get too overwhelmed with projects I’ll post some pictures of my progress over the weekend.